How To Get Glossy Curls
Shine and curly hair was unheard of to me for years and years. I was used to dry matte looking curls and envied women with silky straight hair that shone like in the Pantene adverts.
Fear not though. I've figured out a way to get yourself glossy curls.
Squish to Condish
Squish to condish is a method I use to partly rinse out the conditioner from my curls instead of rinsing out all of the conditioner.
- After applying the Curl Conditioner to your soaking wet hair and leaving the conditioner in for a few minutes, I cup my hands together and use that to gather a pool of cool water.
- Then I cup a section of my curls into this pool of water and scrunch them all the way to the top.
- It should make a squelching sound
- Repeat twice few times for each section of hair. This I find really add’s shine and make for nice healthy glossy curls that aren’t stringy.
Add oil before styling your hair.
Your hair should still be very wet from using the squish to condish method. Smooth your favourite hair oil over your curls focusing on the ends. This locks in moisture to your hair.
Then continue to style your hair with the Curl Cream and Curl Defining Gel as usual.
Once it's dry, you should be left with glossy shiny curls!
Every step in the Bouclème curl system is important. Moisture and definition work together so each product in our 3 steps affect your final result. Cleansing is the first step and sometimes the trickiest. Here are 4 tips that will help you navigate to the right cleanser for your curl type and texture and how best to use it.
1 - Your hair needs time to adapt from the products and system you were using before. If you were using a foaming shampoo with harsh sulfate-based detergents, your scalp needs time to rebalance as oil levels go from overproduction to normalising roots can feel greasy. This transition can take up to 6 to 12 weeks.
2 - Other products in your routine also need to be considered:
- Regular use of oils, heavy butters or silicones can build up. Our Curl Cleanser is gentle, designed to remove dead skin and rebalance the natural oil levels so not best suited to remove this type of build up. Hydrating Hair Cleanser is best for this, it can remove oils, thick butters and water soluble silicones. Most silicones are non water soluble and require a sulfate based shampoo to remove them effectively.
- Our products are tested and designed to work perfectly together. Using products from other systems alongside our range might affect and change the results.
3 - The frequency of your shampoos will impact the needs of your scalp and hair :
- If you wash your hair once a week or less : double cleanse with either the Hydrating Hair Cleanser or Curl Cleanser or use both depending on how greasy your roots feel. If using both start with the Hydrating Hair Cleanser massage firmly onto scalp. Rinse then apply the Curl Cleanser again directly onto scalp, apply more to the length of your hair and loosely detangle. Take your time to rinse thoroughly then follow with your normal routine.
- If you have normal to dry scalp and wash your hair 2 or more times a week, use our Curl Cleanser. Massage into your scalp, apply more to the length and finger detangle before rinsing.
- If you have an oily scalp, fine hair or loose waves/curls use the Hydrating Hair Cleanser. One wash is enough daily cleansing. If washing once or twice a week be sure to double cleanse.
4 - The condition of your scalp determines which cleanser is best for you
- Oily scalp = Hydrating Hair Cleanser always
- Normal scalp = alternate between both Curl Cleanser & Hydrating Hair Cleanser to keep moisture levels balanced
- Dry scalp = Curl Cleanser. Use Hydrating Hair Cleanser for a deeper cleanse once a month or as needed.
Experiment and explore what works best for you. Be patient, when trying a new system we recommend using for at least 4 weeks to truly see the effects. There is no quick fix, growing healthy and strong hair is a long term process. Enjoy the journey!
Got a question? Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or private message us on our socials.
Shop this article
Curl ConditionerRegular price From $28.00Sale price From $28.00 Regular priceUnit price perBest Seller
Curl CreamRegular price From $32.00Sale price From $32.00 Regular priceUnit price perAward Winner
Curl Defining GelRegular price From $25.00Sale price From $25.00 Regular priceUnit price perAward Winner