For those of you who colour your hair, hands up if you’ve tried purple washes to counteract that unwanted warmth. Yes, they remove brassiness, but over time, they can dry your hair out, stripping its natural oils, leaving it feeling like straw. And no one wants that.
What if we told you we had a miracle toning product that eliminates those warm-but-not-in-a-good-way undertones but with no harmful chemicals?! Introducing our Colour Toning Drops, powered by blue spirulina. Here we explain how this super-ingredient benefits your waves, curls and coils.
Spirulina is safe and ideal for anyone who wants to promote healthy hair growth and get a dose of antioxidants and vitamins. It’s not recommended, however, if you have allergies, particularly to seafood, seaweed and sea vegetables.
Harness the benefits of spirulina with our Colour Toning Drops
Blondes, silvers, balayage or dyed brunettes are particularly vulnerable to those unflattering, brassy tones, regardless of hair care routine. Purple shampoos work by opening the cuticle to deposit a small amount of pigment but can leave your hair in poor condition. But blue spirulina could spell the end of purple shampoos.
‘These are great, so easy to use and definitely tone down the brassiness of my highlights and make my silver hairs brighter. I love the versatility of being able to add to whatever product I want.’
How Colour Toning Drops works
Our Colour Toning Drops are a safe and hair-friendly way to restore colour vibrancy for a more natural, non-brassy look. Enriched with deep indigo hues from blue spirulina, these toning drops can be added to your shampoo and conditioner, stylers or deep conditioning treatments.
How to use our Colour Toning Drops
For general maintenance, add 2-3 drops into your cleanser or conditioner and rinse out as usual. If you’re using a leave-in conditioner or styling product, add 1-2 drops.
And for an intense treatment, add 3-4 drops into your chosen product and leave in for 5 minutes before rinsing out.
What is blue spirulina?
Blue spirulina is one of the oldest life forms on Earth, first appearing about 3.5 billion years ago. This blue-green algae grows underwater in highly alkaline environments and is made up of single-cell organisms that use light, warmth, water and minerals to produce protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and other vital nutrients. The result: edible, easy-to-digest bacteria (bear with us!) that’s an excellent source of amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
The ancients were clued up on the health benefits of blue spirulina long before the modern western world caught on. The Aztecs used it to power themselves up before undertaking long journeys to the Gulf of Mexico. They ate it dried and formed into little cakes with grains. Today, modern scientific research has uncovered its untold nutritional values.
What are the benefits of spirulina for hair?
Where do we start? There are so many benefits of blue spirulina for your hair. It’s a pure nutritional powerhouse that nurtures, strengthens, soothes and restores colour. Here’s why you should consider adding this high-protein superfood to your hair care regime.
- It balances your scalp. Spirulina’s sugars, proteins and amino acids soothe, rebalance, and moisturise the scalp, managing sebum overproduction.
- It promotes scalp hydration. Spirulina’s proteins, polysaccharides and fibres are natural polymers, creating a protective film on the scalp for intense moisture retention.
- It soothes a flaky scalp. Zinc and antimicrobial properties fight flakiness and dandruff.
- It helps hair grow strong. Spirulina is packed with protein and contains iron and zinc, essential for strong healthy hair.
- It adds volume. It’s a great source of all eight essential amino acids as well as 10 of the 12 non-essential amino acids that form the building blocks of your hair’s structure.
- It prevents hair loss. It’s an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, and B3, which encourage healthy cell rejuvenation, and omega 3, a fatty acid that can help reduce inflammation and improve scalp circulation. This means more nutrients for your hair follicles and faster growth!
- It fights the appearance of greys. Spirulina’s injection of vitamin B12 can reverse grey hair back to its normal colour.
- It makes your hair shiny! Its antioxidant properties help trap moisture, repairing damage and making hair silkier, softer and glossier.
How to make your hair toner last
Using our Colour Toning Drops will save you time and money, with fewer trips to the salon for expensive toning treatments. There are some steps you can take to help them last longer.
- Protect your hair from the sun. Wear a hat or our iconic 100% recycled Preen Scarf and keep your hair hydrated – try our Intensive Moisture Treatment.
- Protect your hair while heat styling with Revive 5 Hair Oil. (Pssst… don’t be surprised if you no longer need your curling tongs after using Bouclème’s curl-defining products!)
With its vibrant indigo colour, blue spirulina looks like a fairytale magical elixir. Whether you have naturally bright tresses or coloured locks, unlock the benefits of our Colour Toning Drops, with blue spirulina to banish brassy tones, red spider flower to nourish and protect your curls and floral bioactive complex to hydrate.
For those afflicted with split ends, dry, damaged or fine tresses and colour-treated or greying hair, it’s a one-way ticket to hair heaven.